Friday, December 23, 2005

My ears hurt


In about 1983 (a year sung about with great eloquence by Goldie Lookin' Chain - Roller Disco) I was given a walkman at Christmas (topical). I also got a copy of Now THAT'S what I call Music Vol 4. It included Ray Parker Jr's Ghostbusters amongst other classics whose names escape me right now. A lot, lot later on in life I bought an MD recorder. I loved this thing, so solid in your hand and the quality of recording was amazing. Tiny aswell when you look at tape/CD walkmans....BUT, I wouldn't dream of lugging such a weighty item about with me now. Yep, not so long ago I finally joined the queue of sheep and bought an iPod. A shuffle one. About the weight of an empty disposable cigarette lighter. I'd resisted it for ages.....why do I need one of them? I listen to too much music already. My BAD side gently coaxed my SLIGHTLY LESS BAD side into getting one under the pretext of learning Japanese :muchlaughter: Well, I did use it in this way for a bit, still do occasionally but I just couldn't resist for long. Walking without one just seems weird now, and riding a bicycle.... Today was a holiday in Japan and I wandered down Hondori. It was packed, a situation that might usually annoy me but with Massive Attack on it became the ultimate people watch, a video with me as the main star. I got so lost in it I wandered halfway up Hondori with my umbrella still up (Hondori is a covered street for anyone not familiar with Hiroshima....or most Japanese cities for that matter). I felt like a dark and brooding mid nineties trip hop video star.....I looked like a cock.
iPods.....get one

No comments: