Sunday, October 30, 2005

Kowai


I'm a grumpy git when it comes to halloween, but even I was brought under some kind of charm by it this year. Firstly by the kids and then the grown ups. WC and GHB (aka DJ Paul and Windchaser for one night only) played at various times. I think GHB should get a special mention for making sure the music kept playing during the numerous breaks throughout the night. I put together a few Halloween themed interludes for the night along with some sound effects which I'm not sure anyone noticed to be honest, although how you can't tell a chainsaw revving up whilst a woman screams hysterically isn't part of your normal club record is a mystery to me.
Chinatown seemed pretty packed and Jamie of Nanja events did an excellent job of pulling all the various acts/live shows/DJs together. It's not a position I would wish myself into.
Of the costumes, two special mentions from myself. Charlie Brown and the Mormons were my favourites although the Mormons were a bit too realistic to be honest. Perhaps the scariest sight on show in Chinatown.
One of my biggest worries about DJing at the party was that the type of music that GHB and myself like to play usually wouldn't go down well at all. Fueled by the pioneering spirit of musical boundary pushing (free bar) GHB didn't pull any punches and I was surprised to see the floor respond to lovely big fat breaks. That said we did throw in a few crowd pleasers and apart from a minor dabble in drum and bass we didn't send too many people screaming from the dance floor. The Beastie Boys/Gorillaz mash up I did for the night is available from HERE. Enjoy.

If any of you who were there would like to come and see me and GHB do our thing again you've got the chance to do so in only two weeks time, at Edge, with a whole host of other excellent DJs. Read all about it HERE.

So all in all a great night, rounded up with a couple of very western fights. Well done boys. Everyone is full of a deep sense of respect and awe for you now. Alcohol and testosterone eh?

No comments: