Monday, March 17, 2008

Oops I did it again



I haven't shaved my hair off or wandered around drunk on stage at the MTV awards. Yet.

Keeping a blog it's interesting to look back on what I've been up to the past 3 years and also to see how I sometimes repeat myself.

Last year I bought back some omiyage for the kids I teach and ended up scoffing the lot. Well, this year, before I went back to the UK I had seen a friend of mine I don't often see and his very cute, very cooly named boy. He happened to mention that they were big fans of Jaffa Cakes (see pic) . At Sainsbury's one day I spied the Chocolatey Orange biscuit/cake (which side of the debate are you on?) and remembering what they'd said bought a packet to bringback. As I said, I don't see them often....and I don't have a contact mail or number.....and today it occurred to me to check the best before date.....5th of April. Shit!12 days out of date, I can't give them them now. But I can't just throw them away....so, I ate them. Old people eat out of date stuff all the time and old people never die do they?

Another thing occurred to me whilst I was eating them. Something that an alert blog reader might have already noticed. It's not April is it? It's March. They were fine. A genuine mistake, but I've just done half of the packet. Can't give them an opened box now can I?

Oh well. Maybe next time. On a side note I see that they now make 'Zingy' Blackcurrant and Lemon and Lime Jaffa Cakes, which, I have to say, sound disgusting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I accidentally eat jaffa cakes on a regular basis.

They're popular in the middle east, and readily available from middle eastern greengrocers (whatever we might call those particular emporia). They're not 'genuine' jaffa cakes, but as near as dammit.

And you can get raspberry ones with white chocolate topping. They taste better than you might imagine.

Anonymous said...

don't really like jaffa cakes myself, I am a big fan of the milk chocolate hobnobs that taste like oatmeal cookies though- yum! The brits do know how to make the best biscuits for sure, but "rich tea" were my most dissapointing experience, there is nothing rich about that cracker- a total biscuit wannabe.

windcheater said...

Are they 'zingy' Brennan?

And the Rich Tea as cracker not biscuit? It's the new, Jaffa Cake/Biscuit debate all the kids are talking about.

Incidentally, when I started eating the Jaffa Cakes thinking they were out of date I couldn't help thinking they tasted a bit odd and that my tummy might be feeling a bit funny. After I'd realised my mistake, they tasted great :)