Wednesday, November 16, 2005

TLF - Until you get dizzy



About 5 years ago, when WC was first trying to get to grips with the internet and making music, I came across a site called Sample City. There were some good people there....and some idiots. Infact it was probably my first exposure to being annoyed by people I'd never met, BUT, this is about one of the good people, Stephen Braiden, aka Craig Johnston, aka The Tea Leaf Family. I think SC was the first place I ever put up a track for review. I can't remember what it was but I do remember a guy who had the same username as an old Liverpool legend liked it. I had a listen to his stuff and, after my only exposure to music on the internet being the boards on the old Mp3.com I was amazed. Today, through my post box I received TLF's first album - Until you get dizzy, released on Berlin breakbeat label (and one time Hiroshima visitors) Dangerous Drums. Played by the late great John Peel no less, it's hard to pigeon hole TLF. Not that I'd want to but we all do don't we? House, that isn't quite house, breaks, that aren't quite breakbeat, all helped along by the vocal talents of JJ the Detroit diva and Japan's very own Yuko Matsuyama. Yep there's Japanese on there. Can I understand it? Can I fuck. Lovely voice though. There are some classics that I remember from my old SC lurking days such as Flow and Eyeswide (infact I still have the vocal samples to that somewhere, maybe I'll have a stab at that remix again...) and a lot of stuff I haven't heard before, particularly in their entirety. Like Groove Armada TLF can and aren't afraid to mix it up, lovely rolling bass lines are a specialty that I'm quite jealous of. A really, very, very good album.

One small gripe.....where's my Japan only bonus track? ;)

How to get it : iTunes (a measly 99 cents, the European ones, a track, or 9.99Euros for the whole thing), search for TLF. Order it on TLF's news page via Paypal. If you live in Berlin, visit the news page again to see what shops it can be found in.

It also represents the first time the name Windcheater has appeared on a CD jacket.......in the thanks section :)

No comments: