Thursday, May 07, 2009

Golden Week in 広島市


My insides and my bank balance might not agree, but have just had an excellent Golden Week holiday here in Hiroshima.
Lots of good things on, I decided to take advantage of the lovely 8 days off I had.
First up was ex Deee-Lite man Towa Tei at restaurant-come-club for the night Suiren.
It was kind of bizarre getting the lift up to the 7th floor in the same building as The Shack to walk into what felt like a very smart club in Tokyo. Where did all these beautiful people come from?

It was good though. Lots of people, nice atmosphere, great sound and the tunes weren't bad either. Have to say though, after DJing for 20+ years TT's mixing left a lot to be desired. Not that I can talk or that it really matters (it's all about the music baby!) it was just a bit surprising. After Towa Tei came Susumo and Daiji of Sleepyeye and my only regret was that I had one gin too many and stumbled out a bit earlier than I would have liked.
For a complete contrast to Suiren's style, you can't get much further away than Chinatown and Dove Pro Wrestling....

Not the first time I have blogged about these utter nutters but last Sunday's fight fest was as always, great entertainment, one fight even spilling out into the street at one point :)
Lastly and not leastly was Masashi Osaku at Sacred Spirits, put on by the lovely boys at one of WC's favourite bars in Hiroshima, Cover. Now I had never heard of Masashi Osaku but his mix CDs can often be heard at Cover and very good they are too. It's a little dangerously close to the kind of plodding trance beat that I'm not keen on but he's a lot better than that and manages to get a good groove going. Particularly impressive as he does it for 5 hours. At the risk of repeating myself, the Sacred Spirits sound system is fantastic and with a lot of people in there up for a good time it was an excellent night, depite the hippy decor ;)
So it's back to work :( and I've also got to get my arse in gear for not 1 but 2 upcoming releases on Dangerous Drums. Looks like I'm going to be infront of my computer even more than usual, if that's possible, but it is, as they say, all good.



No comments: